The first photo
of this has been moved to scraps if you're interest, as will this one when some progress is made.
I still haven't got much done on my robot, but hopefully that will change since I'm finally finished with the semester. I've refined the form a little, though it still needs lots of sanding. And whenever I sand, it turns yellow. I'm not sure what's going on with that. I've just learned that bleach is safe to use with PVC (had to be sure before mixing things!), so I'm going to try that if it persists through further sanding.
At this point, I've stuck the parts together with a kneaded eraser just to hold them, and I used bits of it to size up the balls I will need for the joints. The three shown are 18mm, 12mm, and 9mm (hip, shoulder, and smaller shoulder ball). I've been looking for beads in those sizes, but I haven't found them in any store around here, and buying online means getting hundreds, which I really don't need. Moving on from this point depends mostly on finding these, but I'll see if I can throw some more parts together while I'm looking.
Anyway, this pretty clearly displays the mechanism I've referred to with one ball set inside another. This should allow the robot to move its shoulders in a more realistic manner, including reaching up without awkward angles, and even shrugging.
Also, the color scheme here is about what I'm looking for. I'm not sure why I like the plain white with dark joints, but I decided that very early on, something more than two years ago when I was drawing the original design (which is totally different than this in almost every way). It's hard to believe I've sat on the idea that long before actually bothering to do anything. Though I recall having a preference for the combination long before, as I used it in a lot of my other drawings. I need to find those.